Friday 30 October 2009

Giving thanks in the dark

I found myself in the dark this week - literally! During the 9 years or so we have lived in our house, we have had occasional power cuts, when the electricity supply has suddenly failed. Usually the power returns within a fairly short time. One annoying aspect of this eventuality is that we keep having to reset the alarm clock. It happened twice this week; the second occurrence came late afternoon as the light was rapidly fading. I found myself hurriedly searching for some other light source before the sunlight disappeared completely. Fortunately, I managed to locate two candles and a box of matches. As I was on my own at home, I sat in the front room and wondered what to do next! No TV, no computer, no kettle, no microwave, insufficient light for reading, no heating, etc. etc.

The whole event led me to consider how easily we can take for granted many aspects of our lives. Certainly, sitting on my own in the dark made me realise what a wonderful resource electricity is. I then thought about all those who are involved in the various processes which enable our house to receive electricity, and gave thanks for whoever sorted out the problem and reconnected the supply in time for me to make my tea!

One thought often leads to another, and I began to consider the various industrial disputes currently taking place: Royal Mail, the Fire Service, First buses, refuse collectors in Leeds etc. I don't have an insight into the disputes, and I certainly don't know who is in the right. I do find it fascinating that whenever I hear either management or unions speak, I feel some sympathy for them. No doubt, as with most of these disputes, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. It does seem a shame that they can't sit down and work out a solution before getting to the point of taking strike action.

Yet as I was thinking about these disputes, I came to realise how much I do appreciate the work done by those who deliver the mail, operate the fire engines (or "pumps" as they are know), drive the buses, and empty our wheelie bins week by week. How much we would miss them if they weren't there!

In St Paul's first letter to the Thessalonians he writes, 'give thanks in all circumstances' The reality is, that even in the most difficult times of life, if we take a moment to consider, there is still so much for which we ought to give thanks. Not least to God for his many blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment